Re: thumbs.el and transparency

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: thumbs.el and transparency
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 23:05:19 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> This can be very easily done with iimage.el, i.e. just open a dired
> buffer and type M-x iimage-mode RET and you will see, for example:

Oh? I didn't even know about iimage.el.

> After that, images get added before the file name part in the dired
> buffer like:

Cool!

> This is much better, but still doesn't work for large images.  This can be
> improved with another fix:

Even cooler! :)

> This function generates thumbnail files exactly as specified by the
> Thumbnail Managing Standard.  It constructs the thumbnail filename,
> fills all required attributes, resizes the image, removes EXIF data
> and uses -type TrueColorMatte to force the encoder to write an
> alpha channel as specified by the standard.  I think this function
> should be adopted for all Emacs thumbnail packages.
>
> Given that, the result on large files will look like:
>
> Isn't this nice?  I think it is.

For directories with a large amount of images, this simply does not
work, I just tried. Other than that, I like the idea really much and
did never think it was that easy to do.

Personally, I do not like the larger size of the thumbnail files used
by the Thumbnail Managing Standard although I like standards.

I'll play some with this.

Thanks!