Re: Visual cleanup for customize buffers

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Visual cleanup for customize buffers
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 22:30:11 -0600 (CST)

Kim Storm wrote:

   I have worked a little more on this to address the bugs that Luc
   reported,

Your patch addresses only _some manifestations_ of the bugs.  You did
not even fix all examples that I reported.  For instance, a
manifestation of the bug that is still present is that the "Value Menu"
for initial-scratch-message says:

";; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp evaluation."

whereas it should be saying: "Message".  I already reported this while
discussing your earlier patch.

Your "Value Menu" for initial-scratch-message is _also_ part of the
_value_ and hence can be edited and is _meant_ to be edited.
If you do C-k at the beginning of it, the value menu is _gone_.
It is a complete mess.

   YMMV, but I think the new patch is quite harmless.

This has nothing to do with varying mileage.  You said this once before
about your earlier patch and you were very wrong.  Now you say it a
second time and you are very wrong again.

I would *very much* appreciate if you could wait till after the
release before submitting any more "quite harmless" patches on this.

Right now, one should concentrate on fixing existing bugs.  I know
that there are problems with the "feature freeze", but this is no
reason to make a complete mockery out of it.

There are still many known bugs related to Custom that need to be
fixed.  Each time somebody tries to implement a new feature in Custom,
like you are trying to implement, or starts yet another discussion
about Custom that could wait till after the release, people have to
spend time finding the bugs in these new features and reporting them
and participating in long discussions.  As a result, numerous bugs
related to Custom that could otherwise have fixed during all that time
will now find their way into the release.

Sincerely,

Luc.