Re: Risky local variable mechanism

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Risky local variable mechanism
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:07:14 -0500

    If I understand the proposed interface correctly, it would try to
    update the currently customizable (through Custom) variable
    safe-local-eval-forms automatically when the user visits a file.

Not "automatically".  It would ask the user questions.

    It would create another option, customizable through Custom, for
    variables and try to update that one in the same way too.

The idea is not that specific.  That could be one way of doing it.
The details can be worked out in various ways.

    There are way worse problems, if the user would try to customize these
    variables _through Custom_ instead of .emacs.

I don't think so.  It makes no difference whether the change is made
using the Custom buffer or using the ask-questions-when-visiting
interface; either way it will update .emacs just the same.

But even if you are right, it is just a side issue, not very
important.  We have a grave problem that we need to solve.  If the
solution introduces minor problems, that's ok.

    I do not see how the automatic updating could be done in a way that
    works well both for people who customize these two options in their
    .emacs _and_ for people who customize them through Custom, especially
    not given Custom's current problems with this type of listvars.

I think it will work right without any special effort.  If not, we can
easily work around it by making two variables, one to set with Custom
and one that ask-questions-when-visiting will set.

Please learn to put minor imperfections in perspective.  They are not
show-stoppers.