Re: tool bar: mouse-2, mouse-3, C-mouse-1, S-mouse-1?

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: tool bar: mouse-2, mouse-3, C-mouse-1, S-mouse-1?
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:32:03 +0100

On Mon, Feb 06 2006, Juri Linkov wrote:

>> AFAICS, C-mouse-1 and S-mouse-1 on tool bar icons call the same
>> command as mouse-1 (without modifier); mouse-2 and mouse-3 don't have
>> a binding at all.
>>
>> Is it possible to bind C-mouse-1 or S-mouse-1 to some other command
>> (not the command bound to mouse-1)?  Is it possible to bind mouse-2 or
>> mouse-3?

Is it already possible or not?  Anyone?

> A good thing for mouse-3 to do on the tool bar icon is to display a popup
> menu with more related actions, e.g. display a whole Customization submenu
> on the Customization icon, all 6 printing-related items from the File
> menu on the Printer icon, all 9 Search submenu items on the Search icon,
> etc.

I'm not a usability expert, but I think tool bar icon commands should
not popup menus (as the Emacs help icon does: duplicating the Help
menu item).

The different commands I have in mind for Gnus are variations of the
Reply command (e.g. with or without citing the text) or
gnus-summary-sort-by-whatever and the reverse sort.  As the icons and
command are customizable in Gnus (in the next version, see Gnus CVS)
the user can bind the most frequently used commands depending on
his/her usage pattern.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,