Tumme menu in Dired, what to do about it?

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Tumme menu in Dired, what to do about it?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 01:42:25 +0100

Before we started to add bindings for tumme in dired, the way to set
them up was to use the command `tumme-setup-dired-keybindings'. Most
bindings are now added to dired but a few are still missing. I might
discuss that in another thread, what I wanted to ask about now is the
extra "Tumme" menu that this command adds.

I think the Tumme menu added by `tumme-setup-dired-keybindings' is
very good, especially for beginners. The menu provides an easy way to
access commands before learning the key bindings and, maybe most
important, before learning that the command is there at all.

In the two tumme modes, `tumme-thumbnail-mode' (on in the thumbnail
buffer) and `tumme-display-image-mode' (on in the image display
buffer), there is also a Tumme buffer, but I don't think that anyone
has a problem with that, as it is just on in those modes/buffers.

So, what can be done with this? I don't think anyone would like that
fat Tumme menu each time they enter dired. Would a sub menu to Dired
work? Too much or OK? If OK, should it be on always (probably)?

Any opinions on this subject?