Re: moving point and invisible text

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: moving point and invisible text
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:56:10 -0500

    > It looks like the your code to move point out of invisible text is not
    > behaving consistently.  The previous invisible/intangible code, which
    > your code replaced, worked consistently.

    AFAIK my code did not replace it.  Both codes are still with us.

I have a memory of deleting my invisible-intangible code, so that your
code would be the only one.  But I checked now, and that appears to be
a false memory; the code is still there.  Perhaps I just thought of
deleting it and did not actually do so.

Anyway, that code does not apply to the test cases we have been
looking at, since they are just invisible, not intangible.  We need to
clean up what is done with moving point outside invisible text at the
command loop level.

    This keep coming up and the answer is still the same: no, I won't work on
    it, because I'm deeply convinced it cannot be done without introducing
    worse problems.  Such consistency is actually pretty low in the list
    of priorities.  Much more important is e.g. to ensure that repeated movement
    commands do not get stuck.

We need to do both.  There is no conflict between them.  "Not getting
stuck" is a weaker criterion; "not appearing momentarily to be stuck"
is a stronger one which includes the other.  Satisfying the latter
will not interfere with the former.

This is a new feature and we should make it work properly now.  I will
make time to work on this myself, but I don't know how soon.  I hope
someone else can do it sooner.

I want to be able to get back to checking the Emacs Manual.  That also
needs to be done, and in two weeks around the beginning of this month
I checked 2/3 of it, but I've been bogged down by other work for the
past two weeks.  I hope to get back to it soon and finish it.