Re: address@hidden: Severe hscroll-margin Bug]

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Severe hscroll-margin Bug]
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:44:37 +0100

Both incidents of the bug described below were observed on Windoze
(compiling with mingw).  I tried the recipe on X+GNU/Linux, but cannot
reproduce it.

Can one of the W32 maintainers pls try to reproduce it on their
system -- and possibly debug it to see why it loops.

Markus Gritsch <address@hidden> wrote:

I can now build Emacs from CVS and have done so on 2006-02-21 four days
ago. I still get a frozen Emacs wich takes 100% CPU when I use the
following .emacs file

(setq-default truncate-lines t)
(custom-set-variables
 '(hscroll-margin 20)
 '(hscroll-step 1)
)

and resize the Emacs frame to something quite narrow. If you would have
another fix, I could probably try it out.

GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.2.3790) of 2006-02-21 on MGROOVY

Markus also wrote:

When I reported the bug the first time some months ago, David Hunter was
also able to reproduce the problem:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-07/msg00077.html

.. which says: ... on today's CVS, my mingw build, Windows XP SP2.

This does probably not help very much, but at least I am not the only
one, who can reproduce this :)

> Does it also loop if you start emacs -Q -D and execute the above
> lines directly?

Yes.

> Can you pls. run emacs under gdb and try to interrupt it to see where
> it is looping.         You can find instructions in etc/DEBUG.

MGroovy:/cygdrive/c/emacs_CVS/emacs/bin$ gdb emacs.exe
GNU gdb 6.3.50_2004-12-28-cvs (cygwin-special)
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...
(gdb) run -Q -D
Starting program: /cygdrive/c/emacs_CVS/emacs/bin/emacs.exe -Q -D
Error: dll starting at 0x78d41000 not found.

Error: dll starting at 0x78d41000 not found.

Error: dll starting at 0x78c31000 not found.

[Switching to thread 4164.0x5b8]
0x7d542a49 in SetConsoleNlsMode ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x7d542a49 in SetConsoleNlsMode ()