Re: Cursor in non-selected windows is 1 pixel too small

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Cursor in non-selected windows is 1 pixel too small
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:48:20 +0900

> I don't have an easy access to an X Windows platform for a moment.
> Can someone who has please verify positively that the hollow cursor
> in non-selected windows there is _exactly_ the same size in pixels
> as the solid block cursor in the selected window?

They have exactly the same size with respect to the outer edges as far
as I tested on XFree86 4.3.0 and 4.4.0.

> I looked at the man pages of XDrawRectangle, and it sounds like it
> needs the same arguments as the MS-Windows FrameRect, so I wonder
> whether we simply missed this on all platforms.

I think it is not unnatural that there are some differences about box
drawing among platforms/APIs because:

  1) Each line that constitutes a box has non-zero (in this case 1)
     width.  There are some possibilities about including or excluding
     this line-width in the specified rectangle size especially when
     the line-width is odd.
  2) Some platforms (e.g., W32) define that a pixel is located on a
     crosspoint of coordinate lines, but others (e.g., Mac) define
     that it is located between coordinate lines.  I'm not sure how
     X11 defines that.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden