Re: Pango-like font fallback (was Re: Russian numero sign)

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: Pango-like font fallback (was Re: Russian numero sign)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 20:16:36 +0200

Kenichi Handa wrote:
> Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> Please note that Pango and the other modern rendering
> >> engines use TrueType font with a help of freetype/Xft and
> >> fontconfig libraries.  Emacs (and emacs-unicode-2 too)
> >> currently doesn't use them, but there exists an ongoing
> >> project for supporting TTF in Emacs.
>
> > That is a valid reason why Emacs cannot use Pango (yet), but it
> > doesn't mean Emacs cannot implement similar substitution heuristic
> > without Pango and for a different font class.  As I understand, you
> > did that in the `emacs-unicode-2' branch.  It is not something simple,
> > but Emacs is not simple to begin with.
>
> I drastically changed the internal structure of fontset in
> emacs-unicode-2.  We can't do such a change for the HEAD
> (which will be the next release, I hope, soon).

Right, I mentioned in some of the previous messages that I'm not
proposing this for HEAD.

> >> First of all, do you have any iso10646-1 X core fonts that
> >> support Cyrillic characters?
>
> > No idea, sorry.  How do I check?  As I wrote above, Emacs does
> > display Cyrillic characters (newly typed) when `unify-8859-on-decoding'
> > is off.  And already existing characters are displayed no matter if
> > that mode is active or not.
>
> % xlsfonts -fn -*-*-medium-r-normal-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
>
> gives you a list of iso10646-1 X core fonts usable from
> Emacs.  For instance, if this font is found...
> -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-iso10646-1
>
> % xfd -fn -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-iso10646-1
>
> shows you the supported glyphs.  Please check the block
> 0x000400.  If you see cyrillic glyphs there, that font is
> what you need.  You can do this to use that font.
>
> [...]

Yes, I have Cyrillic characters in misc-fixed and don't have them in
adobe-courier.

I went to install all the fonts I could find in my Debian Sarge.  And
found cronyx-courier font, which looks nice _and_ has Cyrillic
characters.  However, when I customize the default face in Emacs and
set that font family, latin characters are still displayed in
adobe-courier (though Cyrillic ones are shown in cronyx-courier)...
And the customization doesn't take any effect after I restart Emacs...
Any ideas?

Paul