Re: diff-mode documentation

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: diff-mode documentation
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:14:32 -0500

    @item address@hidden
    @findex diff-file-next
    Move to the next file hunk in a multiple file patch.

I think I can guess what a "file hunk" is.  Is it the part of the
patch that is the diff for one file?

    @findex diff-file-kill
    In a patch with multiple files, kill the current patch to a file.

What does the "current patch to a file"?  Is it different from the
current file hunk?

    @item M-R
    @findex diff-reverse-direction
    Convert the patch to a patch that reverts.
    @xref{Reversed Patches, Applying Reversed Patches, Patch, diff,
    Comparing and Merging Files}.

    @item M-U
    @findex diff-context->unified
    Convert the patch to the unified diff format.
    @xref{Unified Format, Unified Format, Diff, diff,
    Comparing and Merging Files}.

    @item M-C
    @findex diff-unified->context
    Convert the patch back to context diff format.
    @xref{Context Format, Context Format, Diff, diff,
    Comparing and Merging Files}.

I would rather these be C-c commands.  They are not the sort of commands
one would repeat over and over in a short period, so there's no harm
in using C-c, and that would make it possible for the M- commands
to be case-independent.

    @item M-A
    @findex diff-ediff-patch
    Start an Ediff session with the patch.
    @xref{Top, Ediff, Ediff, ediff, The Ediff Manual}.

Same story there.

    @item M-K
    @findex diff-file-kill
    In a patch with multiple files, kill the current patch to a file.

This would have to be moved.