Re: python-mode: keep mark when shifting [patch]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: python-mode: keep mark when shifting [patch]
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 07:47:06 -0500

    The ideal situation in my view would be a default indent command
    which is modified by the major mode if necessary.

In theory we could add another such general command that modes would
modify, as they do TAB.  However, is that necessary?  In C or Lisp I
would use C-u TAB to shift a subexpression to the proper position.
(There's no need to specify left or right, because the command figures
that out.)  Could that work in Python mode?

I recall Python is weird in regard to indentation.  Maybe it simply
needs different kinds of commands from those needed by other
languages.