Re: Emacs crashes

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Emacs crashes
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:06:33 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

> I've had Emacs crash/hang in three different ways in recent days.

I can second that.  I had another crash today, so it has crashed on me
four times in the last week.

I suspect the recent changes to the handling (unwind etc) of x errors,
but I have no proof, as there is no similarity to the crashes (except
that it has now crashed twice in malloc_consolidate (libc internal)
called from emacs_blocked_malloc called from XtVaGetValues in
x_set_toolkit_scroll_bar_thumb.

I didn't have time to dig further into the crash - and I have no way to
determine
what kind of corruption was causing the crash in malloc_consolidate.

>  It would
> appear to be less stable than it was two years ago:

It *is* *much* less stable that it was a week ago!

> 1) It hangs with some kind of mutex lock which I don't understand with a brief
>    backtrace of three functions in libc, I think.  The only thing I can do,
>    after attaching with GDB, is kill it.
>
> 2) A garbage collection related crash where mark_object is called recursively
>    literally thousands of times,
>
> 3) A crash that is caused by recent changes to the tool bar (I think).  I
>    attach the bactrace to this one below (xbacktrace produces no output).
>    It appears to go wrong in produce_image_glyph where img=0x0 because
>    it->f->output_data.x->display_info->used = 73, is less than
>    it->image_id = 87.

I haven't seen any of these -- so there are now 6 different crashes.

Looks like a completely random memory corruption.