Re: Feature request: multibyte user-full-name

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Feature request: multibyte user-full-name
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:36:44 -0500

> A site administrator might choose an encoding other than UTF-8 even if
> it is locale-dependent...

Nice theory.
Give the growing popularity of utf-8, I think we shouldn't even try
locale-coding-system (which risks false-positives).  Better try just utf-8
and if that fails, fall back on unibyte.

I think it's pretty likely that people who start *now* to added non-ASCII
chars in Gecos fields do it with utf-8.  As for those who've been doing it
for a while already with something else than utf-8: well, Emacs-21 read that
as unibyte and it was good enough that (almost) nobody complained, so
why change?

        Stefan