Re: feature request: indicator of minibuffer-recursion depth

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: feature request: indicator of minibuffer-recursion depth
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:17:55 +0100

> Regarding the proposal for recursive minibuffer commands to
> quit the outer minibuffer:

Uh, don't they do that already by default?

> Can someone please investigate what UI experts suggest about this
> kind of case?

I am afraid we already lost them with "minibuffer", never mind about
"recursive".  vi has something like that, but you can't leave the
minibuffer leaving pending stuff behind, and there is no way to enter
another one: vi conceptually turns into a complete different (and
line-based) editor in its command line, called "ex".

In pretty much every editor I know, things like "file entry" and stuff
happens essentially in "transient windows", and you can't leave such a
window before completing things.

Dumbing Emacs' interface down like that does not seem worth the
price.  For example, I quite often do stuff like

C-x C-f ~/junk-2/ M-x make-directory ~/junk-2 RET somefile.tex RET

This is too convenient to abandon, even though I can understand the
choice to not make it the default.