Re: Small patch to enable use of gpg-agent with pgg

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: Small patch to enable use of gpg-agent with pgg
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:49:11 +0100

Daniel Pittman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I wrote a small patch, which makes it possible to use the GnuPG agent
>> (which is part of gpg 1.9 and considered ready to use by Werner) with
>> the GnuPG backend of pgg.
[...]
> I am not convinced that this is the best idea -- so far as I can see, if
> I were to set `pgg-gpg-use-agent' to `t' then I *must* use the agent.
>
> Is it not possible to enable gpg to try the agent first, then to prompt
> for a passphrase?

Yes, that would be good.  I'll try to implement it.

> Also, is it possible to automatically detect support for using the agent
> so that it isn't necessary to manually enable this -- once a new enough
> version is available, support is enabled?

This would be very error prone.  Even if a running gpg-agent is
available there are certain conditions which could make using it
impossible.  For example: on an text console running the standard
pin-entry program (which uses curses) from within emacs won't work.

That's why I think that using an available agent should be enabled
explicitly.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
Real programmers don't want "what you see is what you get", they want