Re: Small patch to enable use of gpg-agent with pgg

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Small patch to enable use of gpg-agent with pgg
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 19:05:03 +0200

Daiki Ueno <address@hidden> writes:

>> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
>> > What do you think?  It might be ugly to depend on the 'gpg: writing'
>> > output instead of the [GNUPG:] stuff, but I see no option here.
>
>> Of course if such a kludge is used, an important thing is to report the
>> problem with the "official" interface as a bug...
>
> Yes.  I think the root of the problem is that gpg does not emit any
> trigger of signature creation.  I'll propose a patch to GnuPG so as to
> introduce BEGIN_SIGNING and END_SIGNING status.

That sounds like a good idea.

> For the meantime, how about using pgg-gpg-use-agent as a flag to
> indicate that GnuPG will _not_ ask a passphrase in signing?  Smartcard
> users should have to set pgg-gpg-use-agent explicitly though.

This patch now works fine for me, both smart card and non-smartcard.

Has anyone else tested it?  Should we install it?  I think so, so
unless there are objections within a few days, I'll install it on
v5-10 and Emacs CVS.  Ok, Reinar?  We could also wait until after the
new v5-10 release, this is a pretty large change.

There is another nit (I'll fix this once your code has been
installed), which was present earlier too: specifying a --local-user
parameter even when the Gnus user didn't customize pgg-gpg-user-id
seem wrong -- it will override a 'default-key' in the gpg.conf, and
thus the default behaviour of PGG is different from the default
behaviour of gpg.  In my case, I have a default-key of b565716f (local
secret key on disk) but PGG specify --local-user jas which make gpg
select my smart card key instead, and signing in Gnus doesn't work
unless I toggle pgg-gpg-use-agent.  The solution is to only specify
--local-user when the PGG user customized the user name to sign with.