Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 02:26:09 -0400

    Things that it might be argued are missing from the notion of face, to
    achieve the full flexibility of "semantic" markup, are 1) the ability to map
    faces in different ways to different appearances (or sounds or whatever) in
    different media,

It would be easy to add such a mapping to ps-print if it doesn't have
that feature already.  (Does it?)  That is the only Emacs feature which
can output to "different media".

                     2) the ability to constrain the context of application of a
    given face,

I see no need for that.

                and 3) the ability to define and add new face attributes
    (possibly unrelated to appearance).

That seems like creeping featurism, and is not needed for semantic
markup.

I see no need for "constant" faces.  If you don't want to change one,
don't.

    I'm not suggesting we should necessarily have any kind of tight control
    here; a defconst-like treatment would probably be sufficient. The
    constantness of `defconst' amounts to little more than a doc admonition not
    to change the value, and that's probably enough for constant faces too.

I would not object to that, if it would solve a real problem.  I don't
want the complexity if the problem it would solve is purely
theoretical.  So far no evidence has been presented that it is real.