RE: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:37:27 -0700

    >     > I see no reason why we can't have two versions of the tutorial.
    >
    >     One reason is that it's not easy to present the right one
    >     to the user based on her reader.  Remember: learning Info is a
    >     bootstrap-kind of problem--you learn to use a tool by using
    >     that same tool. If we don't
    >     make the beginning of the bootstrap 110% reliable (which includes
    >     showing the right manual), the results will be catastrophic.
    >
    > So, how do you deal with that problem currently, since there
    > are apparently already two manuals?

    By having the Info manual be the first item in the top-level menu.

And? That sounds OK to me.

    > Your bootstrap doesn't need to teach anything about `n' and
    > `p', does it?

    I think it does, because users should know how to navigate the
    structure of a manual.

If the `n' and `p' stuff is a prerequisite for standalone-Info users, can't
that stuff be put first for them?

And if `n' and `p' is not a prerequisite for Emacs-Info users, can't it be
put last? I don't understand why this is so hard. I'm not saying it's not
hard; I'm saying I don't understand the problem.