Re: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Slawomir Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:03:36 +0200

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 02:25:27 -0400
Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

#>                My point is this: first things first. If I don't understand
#>     what Info is all about, why would I go through the effort of learning and
#>     practicing its key bindings?
#>
#> Isn't it obvious to everyone what Info is all about?  It's all about
#> browsing documentation files.  Menus, and moving up, moving thru a
#> series using next and previous, are going to be obvious to anyone that
#> has used the WWW very much.

Well, yes and no... there are a lot of other ways to browse documentation
(web browsers being one example). I think we should be pointing to the
users (in the tutorial, at least) *why* info is *better* than the
alternatives.

And starting by saying "press 'n' to go to next node" is only going to
get us a "gee, why can't those guys learn what hyperlinks are?"
reaction.

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy.