Re: address@hidden: RE: tooltip-mode disabled prevents messages in minib

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: tooltip-mode disabled prevents messages in minibuffer]
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:03:21 +1200

 > > I can't reproduce this on GNU/Linux.

 > What do you see on GNU/Linux?  Do you see the TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
 > message in the echo area?

Yes.  It works as expected

 > Also, what is your Emacs configuration?  (The toolkit, if any, is the
 > most interesting detail.)

GNU Emacs 22.0.50.42 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)

 > > I don't think so.  The item TEST has no help-echo.  Messages disappear
 > > when Emacs receives further input.
 >
 > This is not entirely accurate, see below: no help-echo causes Emacs to
 > clear the echo area, probably to erase the previous help-echo.

I see I was wrong now.  No help-echo must clear the echo area otherwise
the old help text would remain visible while over a new menu item.

 > Anyway, I looked into the code, compared the X version with the w32
 > version, and frankly, I'm baffled.
 >
 > Here's what I see in the code: if a menu item doesn't have an
 > associated help-echo string, both X and w32 versions call
 > kbd_buffer_store_help_event with nil as its second argument.  (For the
 > w32 version, see w32menu.c:w32menu_display_help; for the X version,
 > see xmenu.c:menu_highlight_callback.)  This nil eventually winds up in
 > keyboard.c:show_help_echo, which explicitly calls message(0) if its
 > HELP argument is nil.  The call message(0) should clear the echo area,
 > AFAIU.
 >
 > In the w32 version, if I put a breakpoint inside show_help_echo, it
 > breaks after I click on TEST in the menu.  If I then step through the
 > function, I clearly see the TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT message in the echo area
 > until Emacs calls message(0), at which point the echo area is cleared.
 >
 > I don't have access to a GUI version of Emacs on GNU/Linux where I'm
 > typing this--could someone please see which part of the above
 > description works differently on GNU/Linux, and why?

If I put a breakpoint inside show_help_echo and click C-down-mouse-2 the
window manager freezes.  If I instrument the function test with edebug
and step through it, the message doesn't appear.  The problem with debugging
these situations is that it changes the behaviour.