Re: Emacs geometry

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs geometry
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:03:23 +0300

> From: Ralf Angeli <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:06:29 +0200
>
> >>From the command line:
> >
> >   gdb ../bin/emacs.exe
> >
> > (or similar, if emacs.exe is not in src/../bin on your system).
>
> There is not emacs.exe in my source tree after I build Emacs.  There
> is only one in the target installation directory
> (c:/Programme/Emacs/bin in my case) after `make install' was run
> (which is actually a bit annoying).

Then type "gdb c:/Programme/Emacs/bin/emacs.exe" instead.

> * starting Emacs with `emacs -Q'
> * changing directory with `C-x C-f c:/Programme/Emacs/bin'
> * starting GDB with `M-x gdb RET' and using `emacs.exe' as the
>   executable to debug
> * setting a breakpoint with `b w32_createwindow'
> * running Emacs with `run -g 80x30+10+20'

This is perfectly valid usage, so if you get a Lisp backtrace, I
suggest to debug that, or at least post a reproducible recipe.  FWIW,
I don't see an error when I follow this recipe (as close as my
different installation allows).

> I don't get a backtrace if I start GDB in the source tree where
> .gdbinit resides and then use the `emacs.exe' executable from the
> installation directory for GDB.

Another sign of a bug, if you ask me.

> But the `xtype' and `pr' commands don't seem to work either:

`pr' is tricky; I'm guessing that the Windows pipe emulation on the
Emacs side and the console output on the GDB side don't work together
well enough for `pr' to work from within Emacs.  (`pr' does work for
me if I invoke GDB from the Command Prompt window outside Emacs.)  Use
`xtype' to see the type and xint, xsymbol, xcar, etc., according to
what xtype prints, to see the value.