Re: Canceling dialogues

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Canceling dialogues
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:23:18 +0300

> Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:16:50 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> CC:  address@hidden
>
> > So, unless we somehow program the function to discover that it is
> > called for YES/NO dialog, we cannot blithely add a CANCEL button to
> > it.
> >
> Why not add a cancel alternative for the other calls too?

Because we cannot be sure that CANCEL makes sense in the context of
the dialog.

> > If you meant to add code to x-popup-dialog that would recognize this
> > special case, I think fixing the generic dialog code is a better
> > investment of our resources and energy, and the result is going to be
> > much cleaner.
> >
> Yes, that would be better. But could not my suggestion be implemented
> with much less effort?

Maybe so, but it's ugly and unclean, IMHO.

> I tried to answer that in another message. It should do what C-g does
> for the command line alternative (minus some things that does not seem
> appropriate as David pointed out).

C-g is a bad idea, I think: it's too violent.

Anyway, since it's a non-trivial change, I don't think we should
consider it at this time.  These ugly dialog emulations are with us
for a long time, so it's no disaster if we will have them for one more
release.