RE: bug: overlay display artifact: trace left behind

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: bug: overlay display artifact: trace left behind
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:32:01 -0700

         I started with emacs -Q, and just repeatedly used a command
         that moved a one-character overlay to the right one character:

         1. emacs -Q
         2. Load this file:
         http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/mouse%2b.el
         3. Customize this face to have a red foreground:
         `mouse-flash-position'. (The default, yellow, is not very
         visible against an emacs -Q background.)
         4. M-: (global-set-key [down-mouse-2] 'mouse-flash-position)
         5. Select some text (e.g. a word), for yanking elsewhere.
         6. Put the mouse on some line of text. Press `mouse-2' and hold
         it pressed. Move the mouse along the text without releasing the
         button. Release it to finish the yank.

         When you press `mouse-2', the yank position is highlighted.
         When you move the mouse, the highlight moves with the mouse.
         But vestigial overlay traces are left behind.

      Kim> If I try this on GNU/Linux with the code you sent me
      for the "overlay at mouse-2 yank position", I don't see
      the problem. Do you have a simple test case that I can try?

  Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 7:22 AM
  No, sorry, not simpler than that. Perhaps this is Windows-only.

I neglected to cc the list when I replied to Kim. Any chance that someone
has tried this on MS Windows?