Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:08:48 +0300

> Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:05:54 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> > > This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...(no debugging symbols found)
> >                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I think this refers to GDB

No, I don't think so.

> (even with CFLAGS='-g' I obtain it, see below)

Maybe the binary gets stripped somehow, I don't know.  Or maybe it's
some problem with GCC/GDB in the Cygwin ports.  Please try this
in the Emacs `src' directory:

   gdb ./bootstrap-emacs.exe

If it still says "no debugging symbols", you need to find out why is
this happening, because it's impossible to debug a program without
debugging symbols.

> > > [3]+  Stopped                 gdb --args ../src/bootstrap-emacs.exe -batch
> >
> > Why ``Stopped''?  Did you type something to stop the job?
> >

> Absolutely : NO !
>
> I have typed only 'r'

Then maybe there's another problem with the Cygwin GDB.

Or maybe this is something else altogether.  Note that this line:

> Fatal error (6)/bin/sh: line 2:  1388 Aborted                 (core
> dumped)

seems to indicate that the program that crashed is /bin/sh, the ported
Bash, not Emacs.  Can you verify that it's the shell that crashes
(e.g., by looking at the PID)?

Another thing to try is downgrade to the previous version of Cygwin.