Did something change with respect to Emacs idle loop:

From: T. V. Raman
Subject: Did something change with respect to Emacs idle loop:
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:20:18 -0700

I believe the only thing that has changed in my emacs environment
since Monday is Emacs itself (I regularly update from CVS).

That said, I notice the following change in behavior with respect
to subprocesses launched from inside emacs that leads me to
suspect that something has indeed changed, though looking at
Changelog, all timer related changes are in xterm related code,
and I'm seeing this on the console outside of X.

Here is my best attempt at describing the situation; *warning*
it's not going to be something simple that is easily reproducable
-- I'm still trying to find a simple test case.

Symptoms: Run processes like mplayer via start-process from
inside emacs,  e.g. playing an mp3 file ---
output comes to a stop after a fixed length of time -- typically
about a minute. Any form of kbd activity --- even the first key
in a multi-key sequence -- gets things unwedged i.e. the mp3
stream continues to play.

Another situation where I've noticed changed behavior is with
emms (2.1) --- if you launch a playlist  then playback stops
after each track, and you again need to touch the keyboard  for
it to move to the next track.

Again, in both cases, any keypress appears adequate to get things
moving --- even partial keys e.g. C-x where C-x is  a prefix key
making up a key-sequence.

--
Best Regards,
--raman