Re: Building Emacs-cvs on CygwinRe

From: djh
Subject: Re: Building Emacs-cvs on CygwinRe
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:14:45 +0900

I stumbled upon a way to get emacs built on cygwin (at least it worked once)
using latest cvs emacs source (as of September 21).

My previous mail mentioned the unsuccessfull build which resulted in a core
dump, just as it did form another cygwin user.

While trying to isolate the problem, I changed
two items (the second one probably had no use, but I am mentioning it in case).

I tokk the last offending command which broke the makefile and snipped off
the last "   $$wins   " parameter and changed directories to ..emacs/src :

cd ../src

# Then I pasted the offending command with "$$wins" snipped off and ran it.

./bootstrap-emacs.exe -batch --no-site-file --multibyte -l autoload --eval
'(setq generated-autoload-file "/cygdrive/c/emacs/cvs/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")'
-f batch-update-autoloads
Saving file /cygdrive/c/emacs/cvs/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el...
Wrote /cygdrive/c/emacs/cvs/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el

----
Well as an isolated instance and without the "$$wins" it ran fine.
Then I added the two lines in the ../lisp/Makefile  to see just what $wins was.

echo $$wins
echo Above line was added for testing.

# Then ran

  make bootstrap

# Hurry... This time the make bootstrap puzzlingly succeeded.......

Angelo, you might also try this and see if it works for you, as a tempeoraty
fix till the real problem is ironed out.

I don't know why..... Did the manual run of
./bootstrap-emacs.exe -batch --no-site-file --multibyte -l autoload --eval
'(setq generated-autoload-file "/cygdrive/c/emacs/cvs/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")'
-f batch-update-autoloads

"without the $wins parameter..
...initialize a file or something that makes subsequent runs work???

Regards,
  Darel Henman