Re: cua-mode and the tutorial

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: cua-mode and the tutorial
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:24:35 +0200

Sorry for not following up before ...

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> I have attempted to make a new solution in accordance with our
> discussion. This new solution has the following changes:
>
> 1) The yellow area in the tutorial buffer is now small and has a
> "Details"-link (Kim's suggestion)

Looks good!

> 2) The "Details"-link displays information in the help buffer.

Good.

> 3) Changed keys are now marked in the tutorial buffer in two ways:
>    a) The key (like C-v) has yellow background

Looks good.  Perhaps the shade of yellow could be a little less LOUD ?

>    b) There is a line under the key telling what can be used instead
> (in English)

BAD!  (sorry!)

This is very distracting and really makes it difficult to follow the
ordinary text.  Also, on some pages, the same text is shown several
times.

What about giving a combined help in the echo area about the "yellow
keys":

For example:

** Rebound keys: C-v: <next>  M-v: <prior>

You can color the keys in yellow too.

Of course, you would have to somehow regenerate that message as the
user moves through the tutorial to reflect the yellow keys on the
current page (can't bee too hard with a buffer-local post-command-hook
which scans the buffer from (window-start) to (window-end nil t)).

> 4) The yellow areas in 3 are readonly.
>
> 5) There is a link called "Explain" in the yellow areas in 3 that
> moves the point to (point-min)

This is very confusing too.  I tried it and would have expected it to
tell me something about the specific binding (in the echo area or Help
buffer).  But it would go along with the yellow line, so it's not a
big deal.

Maybe you could show the details buffer if the user clicks on any
of the "yellow keys" (like an anonymouse button).

> The support for Viper is still there. I see no reason to remove it
> since I do believe it is useful for Viper users and it does not in any
> way disturb those not using Viper. (Except that the code is more
> complicated of course, but that is only loaded when the tutorial is
> run.)

Ok.

One problem:

When CUA is enabled, your code doesn't detect that M-v is rebound.

I don't know whether this should be installed before the release,
but in any case it is not (IMHO) ready yet.

WDOT?