Re: single init file/directory for windows and linux using version contr

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: single init file/directory for windows and linux using version control svn or cvs
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:15:24 -0400

    The case found by the original poster is when $HOME is not set in the
    environment. In Emacs 22 we default to the user specific APPDATA system
    directory, but we first check that C:\.emacs and C:\_emacs do not exist,
    in case the user used a previous version of  Emacs that defaulted to
    C:\. The original poster had created C:\.emacs.d\init.el, but we do not
    check for this file when deciding whether to default to the old HOME
    location, since it is only supported since Emacs 22.

Perhaps Emacs should check for C:\.emacs.d\ also.
Why not?

Since it is a Windows-only issue, I leave that up to you.