Re: GTK file selector dialog with help text too small

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: GTK file selector dialog with help text too small
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:40:21 +0900

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:
> In Gtk+ 2.10 '/' or '~' opens a second entry box which is different from the
> C-l one.  You can type stuff in the second entry box, but it doesn't seem to
> do anything with the text you type there, that is hitting return just hides
> the entry box again and does nothing.

The little sub-dialog you get from typing `/' seems to work for me -- If
I enter a filename in there, and hit RET, the "main" file dialog jumps
directly to that file, and I can then just hit OK to give it to Emacs.

BTW, on a slightly tangential point, I notice that the GTK file dialog
in Emacs has a huge honkin' message that says "if you don't like this
file dialog you can do ... to turn it off".

While this is indeed useful information for a surprised user in some
circumstance, it negatively affects the layout of the file dialog, and I
imagine could annoy somebody that uses the dialog regularly.  Is there a
way to disable that "warning" text?

Also, it occurs to me that some users might like it if Emacs would
simply use the little "sub-file-dialog" (which you get by hitting C-l in
the main GTK file dialog) directly, without going through the
complicated main file dialog box; is there anyway of doing that?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?