Re: Hang in "double/triple" select()

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Hang in "double/triple" select()
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:28:22 -0400

    I now suspect that is related to someone replacing a router between
    the PC running Emacs and the PC running the X-server while I was away.
    .. so Emacs basically lost connection to the X-server, and for some
    reason it didn't recover through the new router.

So how come it didn't detect that it had lost the connection?  Aren't
apps supposed to be notified when they lose connection to the X
server?