Re: Merging multitty

From: Karoly Lorentey
Subject: Re: Merging multitty
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 13:02:52 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:
> What needs to be done is this: for each file, extract all its change log items
> from the arch changeset change logs (or from ChangLog), and use that as
> the CVS log for the file.

With all due respect, that seems an unreasonable request.  The branch is more
than three years old, with hundreds of documented changesets.

Do you have a tool to automatically convert ChangeLog files to individualized
CVS logs?

>     > However, it might make sense to put them into a file in the tree for
>     > non-arch users to peruse.
>
> That file is called ChangeLog.  "Merged XYZ branch" is not acceptable
> in ChangeLog as a substitute for the actual change log entries.

I think Miles was talking about the CVS log, not ChangeLog.

> If the file ChangeLog has not been maintained for the multi-tty
> branch, then part of putting it into the Emacs repository is creating
> the necessary ChangeLog entries.

The log was maintained in Emacs ChangeLog entry style, but in the Arch logs.
Part of the merge effort is to convert these logs into flat ChangeLog files.
That's very reasonable.  They are not yet there, but they will be soon.

--
Karoly