Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 11:19:21 -0700

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  > > David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
  > >
  > >   > Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:
  > >   >
  > >   > > David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
  > >   > >
  > >   > >> Thanks for your input.  But all other applications (including Emacs
  > >   > >> 22.x) run in this situation using either tty or DISPLAY.
  > >   > >
  > >   > > Worksforme.
  > >   >
  > >   > Current checkout of multi-tty from Savannah CVS?
  > >
  > > Worksforme too, current checkout of multi-tty from Savannah CVS, then
  > > ./configure --prefix=..... ; make bootstrap
  > > strace of src/emacs -Q -nw shows that it's using terminfo not
  > > termcap. What system are you on?
  >
  > Ubuntu Feisty.

I tried this on a Ubuntu Feisty machine, but that machine does not
have the X11 headers installed, so I could only compile a terminal
based emacs.

But this emacs would say "invalid argument framep 1" at startup. I set
debug-on-error to t and run C-x 5 2. The backtrace showed that the
error is in `getenv' and it is cause by an env.el change that YOU
installed on the multi-tty branch without a ChangeLog.

PLEASE REVERT THE CHANGE! It is never a good idea to install changes
without testing them, and you obviously didn't.