Re: crash: x_error_quitter

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: crash: x_error_quitter
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 11:59:54 +0200

>       Which means that the traceback is likely completely
>     wrong, and local variables, in particular those that have been stored
>     in registers, are also completely unusable.
>
> I think that is incorrect.  The frames on the stack give all the
> necessary information, once (x-synchronize t) has been used.

It would be helpful if you actually quoted the _relevant_ parts of
what you are commenting on.

I have spent several days debugging a failed assertion with such a
misleading stack frame due to not using -fno-crossjumping.  The
respective advice in etc/DEBUG is a result of that.

x_connection_closed is declared NO_RETURN, so gcc will not bother
about leaving the stack in a recognizable state when calling it.
Whether or not that affects the calls of x_error_quitter may depend on
whether gcc consequently figures out it being NO_RETURN, too.  With
gcc's current optimization strategies, that is quite plausible.

--
David Kastrup