Re: Failure to build on OpenBSD macppc

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Failure to build on OpenBSD macppc
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 19:07:38 +0200 (CEST)

         The short story is that the problem is caused by:

       (setq load-source-file-function 'load-with-code-conversion)

   I think it is misleading to say the problem is caused by this code,
   since this code is both correct and totally necessary.  The problem
   is caused by a bug somewhere else.

You are of course correct.

       at which point when we are returning from insert-file-contents,
       something corrupts the stack, so that we cannot return, and we
       segfault badly because of it.

   That is the bug we have to find and fix.

Yes, but how?  I don't actually think that this bug is in Emacs, but
in OpenBSD.  I compiled Emacs using -ggdb3, just so I could get some
more detailed data, but that to my suprise that worked like a charm
(my network connection died in the middle when compiling .elc files,
so it did atleast dump emacs).

I'll investigate some more, but I don't think it is something that can
be fixed in Emacs, since from the looks it is something to do with how
OpenBSD/macppc does stack protection.

Ryan, could you resend me the login data for your macppc box? I lost
it when my network connection died (don't know if you saw my message
on IRC).