Re: Checkout the sources for the release branch

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Checkout the sources for the release branch
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 12:33:47 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

People who want to be helpful in pretesting should get the pretest
tarballs.  That's what they are for.

People who use CVS can be expected to acquire a minimum of knowledge
for that.
And how should they get that?

Manuals exist.  I see no point whatsoever in starting a tutorial about
CVS branches on the Emacs web page.  And I see little reason to act
surprised that without doing anything, one will continue to update to
trunk instead of EMACS_22_BASE or any other branch.

I think that you maybe are misunderstanding some things.

- I am uploading the binaries for w32 from the CVS for others to test. I do not use the unpatched binaries myself.

- I do not currently want to spend time setting up for doing the same thing for the tarballs too.

- There is nothing on the Savanna page mentioning EMACS_22_BASE. I just did a fresh checkout and did not get EMACS_22_BASE. I guess that is pretty simple to understand (as is nearly everything we can understand at all) if one knows CVS. I do not know that.

- If I complain about something I am not doing that because I just want to complain. I did find the current situation less useful.