Re: package.el: bytecode portability across emacs versions

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: package.el: bytecode portability across emacs versions
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 10:00:58 -0600

>>>>> "Trent" == Trent Buck <address@hidden> writes:

Trent> OK, so what file system do you think package.el should use?  Or is it
Trent> also a bad idea to share $HOME across hosts running different Emacs
Trent> releases?

Sorry for the delay in my reply to this.

I know that sharing bytecode is bad.  I just didn't know what to do
about it.

It would be pretty easy to have separate package universes depending
on what Emacs you are running.  But that doesn't seem very
user-friendly.  Putting the bytecode elsewhere could be done but I
gather that this doesn't work too well in some situations.  package.el
could re-byte-compile everything when it detects that you switched
Emacs -- this would be fine for cases like "I upgraded my system and
got a new Emacs", but it would be very unfriendly for other cases.
And of course there's always "don't byte compile at all", but that
would probably rule out installing some of the larger and more
performance-sensitive packages.

Anyway, I'm open to implementing whatever the Emacs experts agree is
the best solution.

Tom