Re: guided tour suggestions

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: guided tour suggestions
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 16:52:51 -0400

I've just managed to find the time to read through the guided tour.  I
must say, it's a very impressive job.  I have a few suggestions to
make:

0. Am I the only one that thinks the parts of the text in <tt> are too
   small to be legible?  Or are my Firefox fonts screwed up?

1. The screenshots on http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/ are too
   zoomed out to be legible.  I guess the reason for this is so that
   the entire Emacs window can be displayed.  I think it would be
   better if the screenshot images on the main page of the tour are at
   100% zoom, and cropped so that only the relevant part of the window
   is seen.  When you click on each image, it should bring you to a
   bigger imager showing the entire Emacs window.

2. In the Mark section, under the column labelled "When you...", the
   first entry is "C-SPC".  To be grammatical, this should be "type
   C-SPC".  In the same column, the entry "Exit a search (C-s or C-r)"
   is confusing: these are the keystrokes to enter a search, not exit
   a search.

3. In the section on Isearch, the sentioned "You can incremental
   search backwards" is grammatically fishy.  Maybe "You can perform a
   backward incremental search" is better.

4. In "Integration with common tools", I think we should recommend
   M-x man instead of M-x woman.  As far as I know, the latter is only
   useful on systems where man is unavailable (though that may just be
   sexism).

5. In the section on Macros, I think we should recommend the F3 and F4
   keys new to Emacs 22, since they are easier to use than the old
   kmacro keys.

6. In the Emacs Help Facilities section, the suggestion to run Info
   with M-x info can probably use C-h i instead.  Also, the sentence
   "You can also read the GNU Emacs manual in Emacs with (info
   "(emacs)")" is confusing -- do you mean the menu-bar?

Also, I wonder if the tour should mention transient mark mode.  Now
that font-lock-mode is on by default, transient mark mode is IMHO the
reigning champion for Feature That Should Be Turned On By Default But
Isn't.