Re: new Emacs maintainer(s)?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: new Emacs maintainer(s)?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:44:49 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> () David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> () Wed, 06 Jun 2007 14:06:18 +0200
>
>    I disagree.  x.1 is mostly done in the trunk, x.2+ mostly in a
>    stabilized branch.  It is my opinion that this requires different
>    skillsets for most of the time.
>
> a release coalesces around some vision for that release, not on a
> skillset.  it is precisely because there are different skillsets
> required that whoever does x.1 should do x.2+, for three reasons:
>
>  - cohesion of vision for the x.* releases
>  - self-improvement in the "maintenance" skillset for x.1 folks
>  - self-improvement in the ".1 release" skillset for (x+1).1 folks

I disagree, again.  Moving towards a vision and polishing it are
different goals in my book.  But since I already made my argument,
there is little point in repeating it and we will obviously remain in
disagreement.  Whatever the theory, Richard will have to make the
pick, and whomever he chooses for what task will be human and not a
robot designed according to one of our specifications.

I have little doubt that both of us will find the final choice
appropriate.

[...]

> anyway, that's all i have to say on the matter.

Same here.

--
David Kastrup