Re: address@hidden: Display problem on Windows with time zones containin

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Display problem on Windows with time zones containing Non-ASCII characters.]
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 16:47:59 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 03:11:20 -0400
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>>     I will fix it, probably by forcing Windows to use numeric timezones.
>>
>> Ok.  Please install the fix in Emacs 22.
>>

> I think disabling timezone names is too drastic a measure.  Can we do
> that only if tzname[] produces non-ASCII characters?

Non-ASCII is a side issue, and treating it as the main issue is what
caused us to install an incorrect fix originally.

The original issue reported a number of years ago, was that the timezone
names for the Japanese locale on Windows are not RFC 822 compliant. So
we suppressed them in certain conditions, but in fact, the timezone
names are not RFC 822 compliant in most locales on Windows. Unless we
use a lookup table to figure out which names are RFC compliant and which
aren't, then I don't see a way we can leave them enabled.