Online Emacs Manuals at gnu.org

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Online Emacs Manuals at gnu.org
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 03:19:03 +0300

We received the first bug report after Chong Yidong (I think)
committed the HTML versions of the manuals at gnu.org.  Karl Berry
asked me to send this message; please keep him in CC.

The exact problem that was reported is:

,----
| in /software/emacs/manual/html_node/Gnus.html#Gnus
| there is a link to the Gnus manual i.e:
| /software/emacs/manual/gnus/index.html#Top (link to gnus)[Gnus].
| ... but the directory "manual/gnus" does not exist :-/
`----

Such things happen because `gendocs.sh' (or `makeinfo' when run
directly) cannot include, for obvious reasons, all the manuals that
are not @include'd from emacs.texi.

Could you upload all of them, please?  (Or alternatively, give green
light for this operation to the GNU Webmasters.)  Either way, we have
to do the .symlinks hack to handle the cross-manual xrefs.

P.S.  The amount of people reading the Emacs manuals online is HUGE.
This is only judging by the bug reports to <address@hidden>.  We'd
appreciate if we could reach a general agreement how to handle such
stuff.  Perhaps you could nominate a particular Emacs developer who is
going to deal with these changes (in order not to bother the list) or
grant full vote of confidence to the webmasters' team?  It's entirely
up to you.