Re: Online Emacs Manuals at gnu.org

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Online Emacs Manuals at gnu.org
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:11:46 -0400

Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> writes:

> We received the first bug report after Chong Yidong (I think)
> committed the HTML versions of the manuals at gnu.org.  Karl Berry
> asked me to send this message; please keep him in CC.
>
> The exact problem that was reported is:
>
> ,----
> | in /software/emacs/manual/html_node/Gnus.html#Gnus
> | there is a link to the Gnus manual i.e:
> | /software/emacs/manual/gnus/index.html#Top (link to gnus)[Gnus].
> | ... but the directory "manual/gnus" does not exist :-/
> `----
>
> Such things happen because `gendocs.sh' (or `makeinfo' when run
> directly) cannot include, for obvious reasons, all the manuals that
> are not @include'd from emacs.texi.
>
> Could you upload all of them, please?  (Or alternatively, give green
> light for this operation to the GNU Webmasters.)  Either way, we have
> to do the .symlinks hack to handle the cross-manual xrefs.

Sure.  I've uploaded added the secondary manuals to manual/html_mono
and manual/html_node.

In order to get the links to work properly without lots of symlink
hacking, I had to move the existing manual files around so that they
are where "makeinfo --html" expects.  Thus, the "entirely on one
webpage" version of the emacs manual is now in
manual/html_mono/emacs.html instead of manual/emacs.html, the index
page for the Emacs manual has been moved from manual/index.html to
manual/emacs.html, and the elisp manual has also been merged into the
manual/ tree.

I have tried to update the symlinks by editing the .symlink files, but
this does not seem to have any effect.  Is there anything else I need
to do to make them take effect?  For instance, we need to make the
files in the elisp-manual tree point to the new locations in manual.
Also, we should make a new page in manual/index.html that points to
the separate manuals on the webpage (Emacs manual, elisp manual,
autotype, gnus, etc etc.)