RE: display.texi: (<line>,<col>) isn't documented.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: display.texi: (<line>,<col>) isn't documented.
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:30:49 -0700

>     > Can you tell me how, in practice, you recognize from the displayed
>     > length that the region is wrong?
>
>     1. Small region of expected length: Equivalent of M-=. Check
>        the length of a string of chars. Maybe select with the
>        mouse - no need to hit the keyboard for M-=.
>
> This does not explain how you can tell whether the length displayed
> is right or wrong, or when that is useful.

You can tell it is right or wrong if you expect the length to be N and you
see it is not N. That is useful whenever you might use M-= instead, as I
said. It is useful when you might use M-= but you are selecting with the
mouse, not the keyboard.

>     3. Large region: Be aware when the region is humongous (e.g.
>        before you kill
>
> That might be useful.
>
> Perhaps it would be useful to display the size of the region
> when the region is not entirely visible.

Yes. And when it is entirely visible and you are interested in the size and
know what size to expect - which means reading minds in a `cond' or `if'
;-).