Re: find-file-noselect needs save-match-data

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: find-file-noselect needs save-match-data
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:10:08 +0200

>     Apropos: it appears to have been lost in the noise:
>     save-match-data in its current implementation is _not_ a noop
>     around code not touching match-data, since it converts integer
>     data into markers (which move their positions under buffer
>     changes) and then back again.  Is there a compelling rationale
>     for that?
>
> I am sure it was done to fix a bug, and I can imagine what the bug
> looked like.

Does anybody have actual evidence for that?  I should think that if
there was a particular bug to be handled in this manner, fixing it by
introducing an unexpected and undocumented side-effect into
save-match-data might have been an unfortunate way of tackling the
problem.  After all, this side-effect (letting the match-data track
buffer insertions and deletions by turning it into markers and back
again) is quite expensive in addition to being undocumented.