Re: A wish, a plea

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: A wish, a plea
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:59:47 -0700

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
> Hacksaw wrote:
>> But my real wish is that *scratch* would just go away. IMHO, it's
>> usefulness is limited. And the chances that something important gets
>> lost because of a careless keystroke is too high.
>>
>> Please help a poor writer?
>

> No need to change Emacs. Just put something like this in your .emacs:
>
>   (let ((b (get-buffer "*scratch*")))
>     (when b
>       (kill-buffer b)))
>
> Happy writing, Hacksaw!

I don't think Hacksaw was writing to ask us for help in solving his
problem.  He was writing to ask us to help future users *avoid* what
happened to him.

Emacs gives the user total control, but that does not diminish the
importance of choosing reasonable defaults.  The current *scratch*
buffer is a punitive default; Hacksaw is suggesting that we choose
another default.

-Karl