RE: propose adding Icicles to Emacs

From: Davis Herring
Subject: RE: propose adding Icicles to Emacs
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:27:04 -0700 (PDT)

>> > In the vanilla Emacs `customize-apropos-faces', you must
>> > [snip]
>>
>> In general, then, this process probably deserves another name than
>> "completing-read".  It's related to re-builder, in that it is
>> interactive
>> "explanation" of a regexp; perhaps it could be called "building-read" or
>> so?
>
> At least one of us is likely confused about what the other means ;-).
>
> What I was talking about has nothing to do with re-builder. No connection.
> This is also not about "an interactive guide to the effects of your
> entered
> regexp". In Icicles, you do not enter a regexp (with RET) at all. You type
> some input and then complete it. One of the completion possibilities is to
> use regexp matching instead of prefix matching. So, if your input is
> `foo.*bar' and you ask for regexp matching, then you can match candidates
> such as titifoobar, foo$titibar, and titifoo&*!(address@hidden

We're talking about entering a regexp for (a more powerful version of)
`customize-apropos-faces'.  The result of your call to `completing-read'
is a regexp, which you then pass to the original c-a-f.  The
"completions", however, are not regexps, and so look very odd in the
context of completing the user's input -- of a regexp.  That's all I'm
saying.

Davis

shipping.