Re: Experimental features

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Experimental features
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:07:09 -0400

>> I like the idea.  Maybe the package manager discussed before
>> could come in to help here too?
>    Oh, no, please!  Let's not drag this into it, OK?
> it can't be helped.

Oh, yes, it can.  We did not need a package manager to introduce the notion
of "obsolete" features.  Similarly we do not need a package manager to
introduce the notion of "experimental" features.

Furthermore feature!=package.

I guess it's all my fault.  I should have sent a patch rather than just
text, that was stupid of me.

People are thinking of a bug package manager, when I'm just thinking of
a minor change to autoload.el plus a custom variable (together with
an adjustment of policy w.r.t minor releases).

        Stefan