Re: A wish, a plea

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: A wish, a plea
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:47:03 +0300

> (defcustom visit-on-startup "~/"
>   "File or directory to visit when Emacs is started."
>   :type '(choice (const :tag "Splash screen only" nil)
>                  (file  :tag "Visit file or directory" :value "~/"))
>   :group 'emacs)
>
> I'd vote for the default value being `~/', but deciding on the default value
> is a different issue than deciding to let users customize the startup
> behavior.

You forgot the option for displaying *scratch* on startup.  Perhaps nil
should do that, and I think it should be the default value.

FWIW, I have as the last line of .emacs:

  (dired "~")

that allows me immediately after startup navigate to the necessary
directory and to open/create files in it.  And *scratch* still exists,
coming up after pressing `q' in the initial dired buffer.  So I welcome
a new option to customize this.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/