Re: address@hidden: Re: emacs-22.1 with GTK dumps core when Gnome wigets

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: emacs-22.1 with GTK dumps core when Gnome wigets clicked]
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:45:34 +0900

>     For a short-term solution, do you agree to install my patch for
>     Emacs 22.2?  Unfortunately we couldn't notice that gmalloc.c was
>     thread-unsafe until very recently, and we needed an immediate
>     solution then (although it failed to solve the problem
>     actually).

> I agree we need a solution for this now.  I am not sure (from
> following the discussion with one eye) whether your solution
> actually works, or whether it needs further change, or whether (if
> so) you've done the further change.

> What is the status of your fix?

As for the issue on the hook variables such as __malloc_hook, it will
work at least as well as glibc malloc.  But neither is correct in a
strict sense.  I've just installed my patch to the trunk and the
EMACS_22_BASE branch with adding a comment below:

  /* Copy the value of __malloc_hook to an automatic variable in case
     __malloc_hook is modified in another thread between its
     NULL-check and the use.

     Note: Strictly speaking, this is not a right solution.  We should
     use mutexes to access non-read-only variables that are shared
     among multiple threads.  We just leave it for compatibility with
     glibc malloc (i.e., assignments to __malloc_hook) for now.  */

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden