Re: Characterset for Abbrevation names limited

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Characterset for Abbrevation names limited
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:19:19 -0400

>> > and/or include a similar comment into the function description.
>> > Otherwise an uninformed user might use the unsupported characters like
>> > [!"#%&/] and register the failure of the function and
>> > interpret it as a bug.
>>
>> I suggest making that function give an error if the abbrev contains
>> invalid characters.

I can't recover the original email so I'm not sure what was suggested, but
if the suggestion is to make define-abbrev signal an error if the abbrev
uses chars that are not word constituents, this will be problematic because
the criterion depends on the syntax-table in use and that one may not be the
same during define-abbrev as during expand-abbrev (some code in Emacs even
uses pre-abbrev-expand-hook to change the syntax-table used during
expand-abbrev independently from the syntax-table used otherwise in the
buffer).

        Stefan