Re: dired-details: show/hide file details in Dired

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: dired-details: show/hide file details in Dired
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 17:57:02 -0400

    > Thank you for sending the code.  I got the other code, too,
    >     fit-frame.el
    >     autofit-frame.el
    >     dired-details.el ...

    ... the frame-fitting part is optional. ...  You can no doubt
    imagine that without frame fitting not much would be gained by
    removing Dired details ...

That is a critical point -- and is why you need frame fitting.  If you
were to use frames and did not care about permission, owner, group,
size, and date, fitting the frame would make sense.  I can see that
someone who uses restricted software that does not make things
difficult for interlopers might not care about permissions or owners
-- it is like computing was 30 years ago and is very nice until you
get into trouble.

    ... dired-details ... defines `dired-details-state' with `defvar'.

Ah, I must have got an earlier version of dired-details.el, which did
not define `dired-details-state'.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden